Friday, April 2, 2010

The zone

I'm officially training for the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 27). Today was 3 miles and I felt great afterward. However, during my runs my heart rate is through the roof. I'm in my max heart rate zone for almost the entire run.

I know that heart rate zone training is very effective and used by many athletes, but I find it very confusing. Do I want to stay in the fat burning zone to be most effective in losing weight? Or is it better to push myself and grow my speed and endurance? What about my high blood pressure. I know exercise is the main treatment, but do I need to be careful about what zone I'm in? Who can I go to that will answer these questions?

1 comment:

  1. ON your watch. Zone low is your fat burning zone. So you will burn a higher ratio or fat to protien. For example, 3 to 1 calories. However in the highest zone you will burn a higher amount of calories but more more to protien over fat. So this would be like 4 to 10 calories. So the ratio is more targeting in fat burning zone but the amount is better in the higher zones. You spend calories to do any activity. Either long and targeted or short and intense you just need to pick your hard.

    ReplyDelete