Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Here we go again

Well, since my last blog, I don't know how long ago, I have let my running dwindle down to occasional power walks on the treadmill. Nevertheless, I signed up for the Mercer Island Half Marathon. I had a little pressure. My good friend was the co-chair of the event and how better to show my support than to sign up and run it. Also, the confirmation was printed out and gifted to me in my Christmas stocking by my loving husband. No turning back now.

Well, with the race looming on the horizon, I decided I wouldn't be totally evil to my body and I switched from the Half Marathon Run to the Half Marathon Walk. I always remember hiking to the summits of Mt. Whitney in California and Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. I was on my feet for 15 and 17 hours on summit day. What's a little 3 hour walk around Mercer Island after doing that? Do you get the feeling that I'm a feast or famine type of gal?

I trudged around the island, making it to mile 10 before the first marathoner passed me. The run started 1.5 hours after the walkers departed. The second half of the course was a lot tougher than the first half, so my plan to walk a mile, then run a half mile fizzled to just walking. I finished the race in the middle of all the marathoners and even managed to run across the finish line.

I saw my husband on the left side, our traditional method of spotting each other. They snipped off my chip, and after a quick kiss from Evans, we made our way to the food tent. I inhaled half a bagel, a banana, an orange slice and some water. After a quick stop at the bathroom, Evans and I jumped in the truck and headed home.

My only thought: Thank goodness that is over.

Lo' and behold, I find out the next day that I placed second in my age group. I even get a medal. I halfway think to myself that I shouldn't be awarded for my lack of dedication to my half marathon RUN training; ie I didn't train. But, then remembered my goal is to be fit and healthy. If walking around an island for 3 hours and 11 minutes doesn't count, I don't know what does.

So, what is next? The Mercer Island Half Marathon was on Sunday 3/21. On Monday, I started my training for the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon on June 27th. So, here we go again...Let's see if I can do a little more feasting, and a little less famine-ing.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you placed second! Can't wait to see the medal!

    ReplyDelete