Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm ahead of the game...what!?

So I find out that I actually started my half marathon training two weeks early. How in the world did I mess that up. I've had a really good week of running and workouts following my Easter morning run.

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday - Back in the gym with my trainer. JT had me for an hour and was punishing me for being away for so long. Push ups, mountain climbers, push ups using sliders, lunges, gassers. When I changed my training appointments from 30 minutes to 60 minutes, I discovered that I really didn't like JT after 35 minutes.

Wednesday - 3.5 mile run on the treadmill at the gym. I wasn't able to get to my workout until 8pm, an issue that was fiercely argued about with my husband. Running outside was not my first choice, it was dark and cold. Despite my irritation, I was pleased with how I felt during and after the run, having enough energy to pick up the pace for the final bit.

Thursday - Hill training. I hemmed and hawed about going out, but I finally just changed my clothes and and walked out of the house. The schedule called for a 2-mile run or cross training, so I kept telling myself I only had a little bit to do before I could come back in. I just used a low-traffic hill next to my house. I ran around the block for a quick warm up and headed down the hill. My heart rate monitor was having trouble finding my heart rate, always a bit disconcerting. I was trying to adjust the band under my bra strap before any cars came by. Once everything was where it should be and I had a confirmed heart beat, I started up the hill. Slow and steady, up to the top. By the time I got there, my heart was racing, my quads burning, and my lungs gasping. I turned around and went back for more. After 6 climbs, I just kept going through the neighborhood on the flat. I was amazed at how different my legs felt and how fast my turnover was, now that I was on the flat.

Friday - Back to the gym for more strength training with JT. A slightly easier workout, but it included pull ups. I hate pull ups.

Saturday - Rest day. Signed up at a new gym that I feel comfortable leaving baby J in the Kids Club. I'm very happy for this change. I think it will be good for both of us.

Sunday - My long run - 4 miles. Baby J and I went with my husband to Marymoor park. He was joining his bike teammates for a track work out and I was to push Baby J in the Bob for my run. I was less than thrilled with this idea. Unless the trail is a straightaway, maneuvering the Bob is so draining. Of course the bright side is a full body workout and resistance training during the run. I was convincing myself just to walk with the stroller, and try to run later in the day by myself. Then I decided I'd start running, and just stop whenever it got to be too irritating. Finally, I ran for 3 miles and walked for maybe another 1.5-2. I was fine with that.

1 comment: