Sunday, December 13, 2009

Jingle All the Way

Today was the 5k Jingle Bell Run. My husband and I were out late at the symphony watching a cross between traditional holiday music and Cirque Du Soleil. It was fun, but when I got home, I realized that I didn't even have my running clothes washed, much less laid out for the morning.

After putting a load in the washer and leaving it up to Evans to switch to the dryer, I hopped into bed. I could only read a few pages, (current book: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), before my eyes were shutting down. Off to dreamland. Amazingly enough, I no longer get nervous before a race, even the half marathons. Maybe it's because I know I can do it, it's just a matter of how long it will take me.

Evans and I drove downtown and found a parking spot relatively easily. We warmed up by running to Westlake Center to pick up our race packets. I pinned my number on, retied my shoes. "Remember to double-knot your laces," Evans told me. I never double knot my laces. I just pulled on them real tight.

We're all ready for the run, except, now we have our race t-shirts that we have to carry around. Ok, Evans will run them back to the car, I will run to the bathroom. If we can't find each other, he'll meet me on the left side of the finish corral like always. Amazingly, we did meet up again, in time for a quick kiss and good luck.

I was waiting by myself for my wave to start. The crowd was getting more and more packed. Finally, the start horn blasted, and we all marched forward in slow motion. I don't even know where the start line is, I'm just carried along. Then I feel it. I look down and my shoelace is coming undone. I can't bend over to tie it when the entire crowd is bearing down on me. I'd risk a very obscene bump from behind. So, I just keep swimming along, until the masses magically separate in front of me. Thank goodness, a huge cement planter. I position myself on the other side of it from the oncoming runners, and fix my faulty laces. Or should I say my-fault laces. They are now double-knotted. I turn around and head across the start line, with my husband's voice in my head. "I told you to double-knot them. Would it have cost you anything to follow my advice. If someone else told you to do it, I bet you would have..." ugh.

My goal today is under 13 min/miles. Since I wasn't wearing a watch, I don't have the exact time, but I'm pretty sure I made it. I'm sensing a watch under the tree this year, and maybe some quick-zip laces.

3 comments:

  1. The laces! Oh man. Bummed we couldn't find each other. There was so many people! Did you see Jesus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see Jesus!
    Yeah, we hopped out of the car to run and get our packets when I realized I didn't have my phone to call you. Sounds like you had a great run though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your getting velcro shoes for xmas.

    ReplyDelete